Saturday, March 15, 2014

An Unintended Metaphor


On Tuesday evening, we gathered at our place with our Missional Community for our normal weekly meal and story dialogue. With the way things had been with Dad, it seemed best to eat our Ham and Cabbage and just sit together and chat. 
Released from the norms of a formal gathering, Audrey spent much of the evening with Dad singing and praying and chatting with him while I continued to host our friends.
Just after midnight, Audrey said her good nights to Dad and I went to sit with him.  I briefly took Dad’s hand and reassured him.  I said, “Goodnight Dad! I’ll see you in the morning!”
I turned to leave but was compelled to remain. I pulled up a chair and sat quietly watching. A few labored breaths and Dad was gone.   
I waited for another breath, but no breath came.
I brought Audrey back. We sat silently together at his bedside, stunned at God’s grace in giving us these last moments with her dad. 
I pondered my final comment to Dad. I told him I would see him in the morning but now…
As my mind scrambled to reorient to an eternal perspective, pieces of Psalm 30 streamed into my mind. 
“Joy comes in the morning,” I thought. 
Dad left the darkness of his suffering and he entered the bright eternal day that is the presence of God.
That was it…that was the truth.
Enjoy Him Herb!! We will see you in the morning! 

“Sing praises to the Lord, o you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name. For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Our weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.” Ps 30

No comments: